Heading Back to School or University this year? Check out our tech advice for students heading back to University this year or logging online to meet their new classmates for the very first time.
- Memory – Make sure you buy a laptop or iPad that will stand the test of time. Remember whatever you buy needs to last you for the duration of your course, so when your buying your brand new laptop or refurbished iPad make sure it has enough storage space to store all your college assignments, lecture notes, and whatever else you may need over the duration of your course. And if you do run out of space don’t worry – saving your files down in the cloud will keep your files safe for years to come and free up some extra space on your device. Important things to watch out for when buying an iPad or a Laptop…
#Mintplus #Toptip – if you’re buying an iPad make sure your iPad has at least 64GB space to ensure you don’t run out of storage space any time soon…
- Size- So while it looks unlikely that University students will be returning to lecture halls anytime soon, buying a lightweight, transportable iPad or Laptop is important to ensure you get the most use out of your device. There is nothing worse than having to carry a heavy laptop or an iPad that does not fit in your bag with you everywhere go! If your iPad or Laptop makes your college day a little bit more awkward, you probably will not bring it with you and you probably will not use it.
#Mintplus #Toptip – Buy a small iPad or laptop that is easy to transport and is lightweight
- Functionality– Be logical when choosing your new device. Buying the latest and greatest products on the market can get very expensive and realistically, we don’t need to be able to zoom call our friends in 4k video resolution every day! Buying an older model of an iPad saves you a lot of money but does not downgrade the quality of your device. The latest advances in laptop and iPad technology aren’t huge and you won’t notice the differences in a model that’s’ slightly older in comparison to a brand-new device.
#Mintplus #toptip – Do some research into the device your thinking of investing in before you purchase it. Make sure you compare the functionalities of brand-new devices with devices that are a few years older. Once you look into it, you’ll realise that the differences between slightly older devices and brand-new devices are not huge and buying the latest models on the market may not be worth spending your money on.
- Think Green – Like fast fashion, technology and the production of smartphones and other devices has a huge impact on the natural environment. Buying refurbished or Pre-owned devices can not only save you save a lot of money but also helps protect the natural environment. Pre-owned and Refurbished devices have a considerably lower impact on the environment as they do not require the same amount of natural resources, human manpower or international airfreight as brand new devices require.
#Mintplus #Toptip when buying Pre-owned or refurbished devices make sure you buy from an experienced retailer who offers you a warranty and is established in the consumer electronics/refurbished device market.
Here are our #Mint+ Top 5 Products for Back to College:
- Mint+ Refurbished iPad Mini 4 - Small, lightweight, and great value! NOW €319
iPads are perfect for back to school or university. Not only are they lightweight and easily transportable, they also offer many of the same features as Laptops. Add on a smart keyboard and your new iPad is perfect for taking notes
Weighing in 10% lighter than the mini 3, this is the lightest iPad on the market. It can be carried anywhere, and thanks to the quality aluminium case, can stand up to everyday use.
The smaller chassis doesn't mean you have to sacrifice battery power - the iPad mini 4 has the same 10-hour battery life as its predecessor, giving you more than enough power for your day
Despite its compact size, the mini delivers a full iPad experience. The 7.9” Retina Display is perfectly sized to give you a complete view of your digital content and features a higher-than-HD resolution, so you can enjoy videos, photos and more in beautiful detail.
Along with fast processing that ensures apps run at their best, the powerful A8 processor delivers impressive graphics that take mobile gaming to the next level, so you can enjoy the best of your favourite touchscreen games wherever you are.
- Google Wi-Fi Router – NOW €169
A new type of connected system that replaces your router. Get seamless Wi-Fi coverage throughout your home, helping eliminate dead zones and buffering - perfect for ensuring you’ll never miss out on any of your lectures!
Network Assist technology keeps your connection fast by always selecting the clearest channel and fastest band for your devices; Wi-Fi throughput: 1200 Mpbs
A simple app gets you set up quickly and allows you to see what's connected, prioritize devices, and pause the Wi-Fi on kids' devices
A single Wi-Fi point covers up to 1,500 square feet, a set of three covers homes up to 4,500 square feet Wi-Fi points work together so you can add more if you need additional coverage
Enjoy wireless music for up to up to an incredible 20 hours with iFrogz Airtime Pro Bluetooth Earbuds. With amazing sound quality and compatible with all iPhones and Android Smartphones, these Wireless Earbuds are a great alternative to Apple AirPods or Samsung Galaxy Buds, without sacrificing on sound quality, features, or battery life.
A great alternative to more high-end smartwatches but at a very affordable price. The Samsung Galaxy Smartwatch has all the functionalities you would expect from a smartwatch including incoming call monitoring, SMS messaging, calendar reminder notifications and much more. This high functionality watch also enables users to monitor their steps, activities, heart rate monitoring and is water resistant. The perfect smartwatch for students on a budget
- Mint+ iPhone 8 64GB – From €279 - €449 (Various options available)
Mint+ iPhone 8 is the perfect smartphone for back to college. Mint+ iPhone 8 screen size and battery life offer students the perfect phone for their back to college/school requirements with a 4.7-inch display with brighter than ever before screen thanks to advanced retina display and 14 hours battery life. With its larger screen size and 12 Mega pixel camera, the iPhone 8 isn’t far behind Apple more recent offerings in terms of camera quality or battery life, but at a much lower price point.